Monday, October 25, 2010

What a Night

Sometimes, you can go for awhile without anything uneventful happening, and then all of a sudden, everything happens. I have always known this, but it was made very real to me today.

It started out as a typical car ride back to college. It should be between 6-6 1/2 hours, without stops. A friend and I left at 3:30, figuring this would get us back to college at an opportune time. Funny....funny.

Little did we know, there were a lot of storms in the area that we happened to be when we were about 4 hours into the trip. It started hailing terribly, so we had to pull into a gas station to park under an awning because it had gotten to where we couldn't see the road. Well, we sit there for, oh, about an hour and a half I would say. I got to read a lot of Atlas Shrugged though, so it wasn't a total waste of time. It was still pretty boring though. We had barely missed a tornado or two, but we were stuck. At the time, the tornadoes were supposedly moving in our direction, but we couldn't drive because of the hail. It was a very tense time. Thankfully, the storms started turning away from us and the storm lessened, so we decided to get back on the road just in case it was to get worse later. We drive for awhile, but then we get to where we have to get off of the freeway we stay on for most of the trip and go to a different freeway. I had forgotten my GPS at home, so we made several wrong turns before FINALLY getting onto the right freeway. Exhausted, we arrived on campus. We had been hailed on, we were still wet from when we had gotten out of the car at the gas station to walk inside for a bit, we had gotten lost, and to top it all of, there were no parking spots in the parking lot close to our dorms. Or even a close parking spot in the NEXT lot. We trek the mile (ok not really, but with a heavy suitcase and as tired as we were, it felt like it) to the place in between our two dorms and as we part ways my friend says, "Well hey, it can't get any worse right? Goodnight!" I walk into my dorm, so glad to be back and ready to take the elevator upstairs. I see a sign on the elevator, "The elevator will not go to the third floor. If you try this, you will get stuck." Oh, by the way, I live on the third floor. So I lug my heavy backpack and GIANT suitcase up three flights of stairs. As I collapse into my chair, I realize that I could have taken the elevator to the second floor, and only walked up one flight of stairs. Good thinking Hannah, good thinking.

So here I sit, tired beyond belief typing about my very eventful day. I wanted to get it all down though before I forgot the details. Anyway, hopefully this was slightly amusing. There is not point to it except to lament about my exhausting day. At least we made it safely. And hey, nothing else can happen, right? I'm safe in my dorm.

Well, time to climb onto my tall bed, which can only be accomplished by standing on my swivel chair that is also on wheels. Goodnight all!

Be salt and light!

~Hannah~

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious. Sorry you guys had such a bad time. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete