Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Yes, for those of you wondering about the title of my post, that is a movie. A children's movie, but possibly one of my favorite movies of all times. It follows the adventures of an eccentric toy store owner (Mr. Magorium..but is he really eccentric? more about that later), the manager of the store (Molly Mahoney), a frequent patron of the store/part time help (Eric Applebaum) and the "villian" of the story who is an accountant/sceptic (Henry Weston). Mr. Magorium decided his time on earth is up (and after 243 years of being alive, who wouldn't?) so he bequeaths his store to Molly Mahoney. Mr. Magorium has never taken inventory, so he hires an accountant to figure out the worth of the store (enter Henry Weston). When the toy store hears that Mr. Magorium is leaving, it throws a temper tantrum. Oh, have I mentioned that this is a magical toy store? It has the same characteristics of a child, hence the temper tantrum. The movie progresses as Molly tries to convince Mr. Magorium not to leave, Eric tries to make friends, and Henry tries not to be so uptight. 


I know, I know. "Ok Hannah. This is a movie about a magical toy store. Why on earth are you telling us this?" 


Well, because this movie has some of the greatest quotes from any movie I have ever seen. I'm a huge "quote fan", I guess. I love quotes that make me think, and this movie was a thinker. The substance and thought behind this movie surprised me, and since it will probably never be a really famous movie (although Dustin Hoffman stars in it, it is 5 dollars at target..a point my sister who does NOT like the movie tends to point out) I thought I would share some of the quotes with you.


Warning- There are spoilers for if you have not seen the movie. 
~~~~~~~~~~
When Mr. Magorium is in the hospital, Henry tells Molly that he is worried, because he can not find any insurance papers for Mr. Magorium. Molly gets frustrated, thinking that Henry doesn't care about Mr. Magorium. Henry replies "You know, some people... send flowers, or cards, or... give people hugs. I... make sure their paper work's all in order." This quote helped me realize that some people show that they care in different ways, so we have to be careful before jumping to the conclusion that someone doesn't care. They may just express it differently than we do. 
~~~~~~~~~~
Molly Mahoney, went Mr. Magorium tells her that he's leaving- "Are you dying?"
Mr. Magorium -"Lightbulbs die my sweet. I will depart."
~~~~~~~~~~
Eric: My hat's stuck. 
Molly: Ha... looks like you're gonna need a ladder. 
Eric: Naah. I just need to jump higher. 
Molly: Eric... that's seven feet, at least. 
Eric: Seven feet? Really? 
Molly: At least. 
Eric: You think I should get a running start? 
The film shows Eric after a bit hanging from the ledge where his hat was stuck, and we hear him say "got it". This is just one quote from the movie that emphasizes the importance of having a positive attitude, because most things thought impossible are possible if one has the right attitude. 
~~~~~~~~~~
When Molly tries to explain to Henry that it's a magical toy store, Henry Weston says that it may be special, but that it's "just" a toy store, prompting the following dialogue. 


Molly: I knew it. As soon as I saw that suit. 
Henry: Knew what? 
Molly: You're a 'just' guy.
Henry: What's a 'just' guy? 
Molly: A guy just like you. Same hair, same suit, same shoes, walks around, no matter what, you think it's all just a store, it's just a bench, it's just a tree. It's just what it is, nothing more! 
Henry: Alright but this... is just a store.
Molly: I'm sure to you... it is. 

~~~~~~~~~~
In order to try and convince Mr. Magorium to stay on earth, Molly takes him through the "perfect day". This is one of my favorite scenes. As one of the "great things", she takes him to a clock store where they change all the clocks to a few seconds before noon, so that they will all go off at the same time. This is one of my favorite lines from the movie.


Molly: Ok. 37 seconds. Now..we wait.
Mr. Magorium: No. We breathe. We pulse. We regenerate. Our hearts race, our minds create, our souls ingest. 37 seconds well used..is a lifetime.
This quote makes me wonder how much life I have in my life. (Complicated, I know :) ) 
~~~~~~~~~~


And last quote for the day, because this post is getting rather long. I think I will get a part two up here in a day or two, because again I love the quotes from this movie. This is the scene when Mr. Magorium "departs". Molly appeals to him one last time not to go, and this is Mr. Magorium's response. This is my favorite quote from any movie...ever, and I think it is such a great line. 


Mr. Magorium:When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words. I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died." 
Molly: *sniff* I love you
Mr. Magorium: I love you too. Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. 

1 comment: