Tuesday, April 9, 2013

An Overlooked Need

Before I start this post, I want to emphasize.


I do not practice what I preach.

As much as I would like to believe that what I am about to say is the exact thing I practice, I can't lie to you. I want to be better, I do. I am working on it. However, it is a very hard thing to start living out.

What is that thing you may ask?

Well, what I am talking about is service. A specific type of service. I think there is a lot of good in doing something like building a house or church in Mexico. It is something you can talk about as well without sounding like you're bragging. “Well, this summer I went on vacation with my family and then went to Mexico to build a church with my church”. Now don't hear me wrong. There is something noble and something honorable about going to Mexico or another foreign country to build a church or a home or a hospital. Building a building in Mexico is not easy work. It is hot. It is hard labor. It is HOT.

But.

There is another type of service that I believe gets overlooked more often that not. It is not a glamorous type of service and it's not something that you normally hear people talking about. However, it is a service that has really been on my heart lately after some encounters and conversations with friends. That service is to the homeless population. Now, I can hear the questions already.

“Aren't a lot of them drug addicts/former drug addicts?”
“What if they're a con man who doesn't really need help?”
“Couldn't they get out of their situation if they really wanted to?”

I am ashamed to say that I myself have asked some of these questions to justify just walking on by. But a question I have started asking myself is- does it really matter? Wouldn't you rather help someone who didn't need help than NOT help someone who needed help? I realize I may be stepping on some people's toes by this post. But something I think we need to keep in mind is that a lot of people out there have had hard, rough lives. Some of them due to themselves, but some due to circumstances out of their control. There are people out there that are hurting. Possibly the same thing that happened to someone is homeless happened to you and you recovered and continued with your life. And that is GREAT! However, some people were not that lucky.

I know that there is a lot of discussion out there about giving money, but you don't have to give money to help people. There a lot of ways. And what would that mean for you? Buying them a sandwich? A hot drink? A blanket? As initially ridiculous this may sound, just giving someone a sandwich could save their life. For a person who has time and again been knocked down, ignored, abandoned- whatever the case may be- just knowing there is someone on earth that cares enough to buy them a sandwich or a drink, start a conversation with them or even just make eye contact, could be enough to completely change their way of thinking. Something so little for us could change someone's life. So what if they're a con man? That's a risk you take helping people. And if they are, what's the worst that happened? You gave a man a sandwich who didn't really need it.

Some people that are homeless are homeless because they made choices to be that way. Some are continuing to make those choices. Some could improve their situation but don't and some just choose to live that life. However, almost all of them need some form of help or encouragement. We all do. When the Bible talks about service, it does not say “help those that only ask for it” or “help those that you judge for yourself deserve your help”. Service is not about what people deserve or earn anymore than salvation through Christ is something we deserve or earn. 1 Peter 4:10 states “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms”. God's grace is not something that we only show people who deserve it. Can you imagine if God's grace was only given to people who “deserved it”? I'll let you in on a secret- no one would be a recipient of that. Thankfully, it is a gift. A gift that we should share with anyone we come in contact with.

No matter their race.
No matter their background.
No matter their social class.
No matter their job.
No matter their faith.
No matter their situation in life.


The list goes on. My encouragement to you is this. And I'm warning you now- it's the hardest thing yet. Actively look for people that need God's grace. Sometimes the people hardest to give it to are the people that need it the most. Look for them, whether they be the mean person at work, the homeless man you pass every morning, or the neighbor who's always yelling at the neighborhood kids. Look for them. And once you find them- love them. Serve them. Whatever it takes. It may not be outwardly rewarding. You may get shut down, rejected, or ridiculed. I promise though, a lifetime of service will never leave you with regrets.

Be salt and light!
~Hannah~ 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100% and this has been on my mind alot too. I drive down Berry Street in Fort Worth on my way to TCU. I see homeless people every single day. Sometimes I take extra fruit in my car to hand to those who stand on the corner at the light where I sit many mornings. But I know that's not enough. What would Jesus do in my situation? He would give them much more, but what is that? I struggle with this. Anyone could become homeless, the reasons for homelessness are many. I have been thinking about going to Dollar Tree and making "care packages" and put them in my car to hand to people I see. Maybe with a New Testament and gum and granola bars and bottle of water. At least that's a place to start. I don't have the answers but want to act on this in some way.

    ReplyDelete