Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Proposal Story (ah!!)

Here is the promised proposal story. Enjoy! 

I went to Atlanta, Georgia for a mission trip with the youth group I was the youth intern for, and Evan decided to take a week off from his internship in Springfield, Missouri and go home to Georgia. He had e-mailed the youth minister I was working for (Matthew) and told him that he was going to propose, and asked if I could have a night off. Matthew, being the awesome, understanding boss that he was of course said yes. Now, I should have known something was up when I was talking to Matthew and Evan, because both of them kept absolutely insisting that I take Wednesday night off. Well, on Wednesday of that week Evan picked me up from the place I was staying with the youth group and took me to his house. I  thought that we were just cooking dinner for his parents, and then hanging out with everyone. However, when we started to cook dinner his parents disappeared upstairs. Before we had started dating, Evan had taught me how to play chess. He had led me to believe that I was pretty good by letting me win several of the games. Apparently, he was just being nice. He suggested that the person that won the next game got to decide the next activity we did. I was pretty sure of myself, so I agreed. ....I lost in about 5 moves. HIs suggestion was that we go on our first official date. At Evan's house on the night of the proposal, he had bought a new chess set. He suggested we play a game while dinner was cooking. After he beat me (he always wins), he came to sit by me on the couch and said that he had thought of a good analogy for life that involves a chessboard. He said that a lot of times in life, things will happen and you will lose "pieces", like in a chess game. He said that while some pieces may go out of your life, sometimes you are lucky enough that God sends you just the right person that will always have your back and will do anything to protect you, like the queen piece in chess. He said that he was so lucky, because God had sent him that person, and that it was me. He got down on one knee, pulled out a ring, and said "I am so lucky that God sent me you. I know that you will always have my back, always do anything to protect me. And for the rest of my life, I want to be that person for you. Hannah Wren Stone, will you marry me?" I, of course, said yes.

Sorry it's been so long coming. I've had a lot going on, some of which I will address in my next few blog posts. I hope all of you have had a marvelous start to your new year. 

Be salt and light!!
~Hannah~

No comments:

Post a Comment