Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's the Little Things

I guess you could say that this is a combination “devotional” post and “bride to be” post. Last week was such an extremely stressful week. Monday, especially, was the most exhausting. I had class at 8 am, went to babysit from 9-1, went to class from 1-2, then babysat again from 2-5. At one point, I was alone with twelve 2 to 9 year olds on a playground. Needless to say, I was absolutely exhausted. I was also not in the best mood. I knew that Tuesday was going to be even more busy and Wednesday would be crazy as well. On top of classes, I had my speech client this week, a ton of work to do, and extra homework and quizzes. Knowing that my week was just beginning was almost too much to handle. When I got out of babysitting, Evan called me to tell me to meet him behind the student center. He had picked me up one of our favorite meals. When we were done eating, he took me to the student center, bought me ice cream (comfort food works miracles) and watched a couple tv shows with me, even though he had a lot to do that night. To add to this, earlier that day, I had asked him to turn in these postcards I had filled out for work. All I thought he had to do was turn them into the office. Well, turns out they had to be stamped. There were approximately 75 of these postcards. Now, I would definitely not have blamed him if he had just texted me explaining that, and then given them back to me. But that sweet guy stamped all of them and turned them in for me. Not only that, he sat in my chapel seat so that I wouldn't be counted absent (he knows I'm running a tad low on chapel skips).

Now, all of these things are not that big of a deal. They weren't some huge, monumental actions that forever changed my life. They were just little things. What made them special though was the thought that went into them. It's the fact that he made an effort to show me that he cared and that he would do anything to make my day better. 

Besides being reminded yet again that I am incredibly blessed to be engaged to/best friends with this guy, I started thinking about how many times I had missed opportunities to do “little things” for people. Think about your own life for a second. How many times have the “little things” made a huge impact on your day? If a stranger compliments you on your shirt, doesn't that make you feel good? Or if they hold the door open for you are carrying your books, doesn't it help you out so much?
One more story. Whenever we are checking out at a store, or getting our cards swiped to get into the caf, or come in contact with anyone who has a fairly monotonous job, Evan always goes “Hi, how is your day going?” Usually, they answer “fine”. But I've noticed that the people he does this to regularly recognize him now. They smile as soon as he comes up, and some have even talked to a little longer. One time, one of the workers in the cafeteria that everyone thinks is a bit mean seemed particularly sad. Evan asked her if she was ok, and she said “Well, I have back problems and because I've been standing up all day my back really hurts. It's been really hurting lately.” Well no wonder she looked mad all the time-if I was in constant pain, I would be mad too! Evan replied “I'm sorry to hear that, I'll be praying for you!” And walked off. You should have seen her face light up. By Evan just asking her what was wrong, he improved her day tremendously. This was just another reminder that it really does not take much to turn someone's day around.

So this is my challenge to you. As you go through this week, try and do little things for people. Smile at them. Ask them how their day is going. Compliment them on their hair or their shirt or the presentation they did in class. Focus on doing little things for others, and try to recognize the little things people are doing for you. I promise, you'll smile a lot more when you realize that people are going out of their way to be nice to you. And remember that it's the little things you do that may make the biggest impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment