Saturday, September 29, 2012

Who by Worrying....

Last night, one of my best friends, Nicole, surprised me by coming up to Harding for a visit. I don't know how Evan kept it a secret, but he did. It had been an extremely long week. I had work, clinic, tests in two of my major classes, and a ton of assignments due. I was so incredibly stressed that multiple times this week I just wanted to break down.. But now I'm sitting here, outside of a coffee shop with two of my best friends. Today, we are all hanging out and then later today, I am going over to Kelsey's and cooking dinner and going to the football game. There is a slight breeze and the weather is the perfect temperature.  I can hear kids giggling and playing in the open area next to this coffee shop, my coffee was made just right, and I have nothing I need to do any time soon. And I'm realizing something.

Being stressed did not help me any.

If I hadn't let myself be stressed- If I had just relaxed, taken a few deep breaths, and not worried so much, I would still be in the same boat. I would still be sitting here on this perfect day with people that are so dear to me. The weather would still be perfect, I would still be going to the game tonight, and I would still be smiling so much my cheeks hurt. But I wouldn't have wasted so much of last week being tired and stressed and worried. I could have had even more time like the time I'm experiencing right now.

Realizing that has let me know that I shouldn't stress as much. Stressing doesn't do anything. I know that I will still be stressed, I'm not fooling myself. But hopefully, this was the wake-up call I needed to try and tone it down. The next time I get stressed out and tired, I will be able to think about this day and remember that it will all be ok, and an awesome, stress-free day will be just around the corner.

So my challenge to you is to just take a few deep breaths. Relax. Enjoy the day. Spend some time outside. And don't worry. Whatever is going on, it will all work out.

Be salt and light!!

No comments:

Post a Comment