Monday, October 18, 2010

What I'm For....

I'm for wildflowers in the window, mechanics you can trust.
I'm for crackers in my chili and leaving grudges in the dust.

I'm for drive-thru order takers who can muster up a smile
I'm for taking in that stray dog that's been hangin 'round a while

I'm for turning off the TV, and getting off the internet
I'm for learning all the words to the Gettysburg Address.

I'm for dusty Pawn Shop guitars, and Boxers past their prime
I'm for soaking up the wisdom when an old man speaks his mind.

I'm for laid off factory workers when the wolf is at the door.
You don't have to guess what I'm against if you know what I'm for.

I'm for Texas margaritas and getting of debt.
I'm for having faith in something that hasn't happened yet.

I'm for the shy kid in the corner 'Fraid to ask the girl to dance.
I'm for the ex-con outta prison who just wants a second chance.

I'm for the inner-city teacher with a heart stuck in her throat.
Who can still see God in every child, who never gives up hope.

I'm for dusty Pawn Shop guitars and Boxers past their prime.
I'm for soaking up the wisdom when an old man speaks his mind

I'm for Detroit factory workers when the wolf is at the door
You don't have to guess what I'm against if you know what I'm for

I'm a-counting all my blessings when the world is at my door.
You don't have to ask what I'm against
if you know what I'm for.




- What I'm For-Pat Green


I think we spend a lot of time thinking about everything that is wrong in the world, everything that we wish would change. This song reminds me every time I hear it that if we show people what we support, what we stand for and what our beliefs are, we won't have to tell them what we don't agree with. They will just know, because they will know where we stand. I think this goes for everything in life. 

This is also important to our faith. If we let people know what we believe and what we stand for by our actions, they will be drawn to us because they will be able to see God reflected in our lives. So this week I would encourage you to think about the good stuff going on in the world, focus not on what you're against, but what you are for, and show people what you stand for, because your actions are your best testimony.


"Preach the gospel at all times- if necessary, use words." - Saint Francis

Be salt and light!


~Hannah~

1 comment:

  1. This is great, Hannah. I had never heard this song, but I looked it up on YouTube.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I also love the Saint Francis quote. I may have to tweet that one today.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bsj_mwQrpA

    ReplyDelete