Thursday, October 6, 2011

Re-framing- Even to the point of silliness

Re-framing is a term I first heard my sophomore year of high school in Leadership class. We discussed how we should re-frame situations to make them seem better than they really were. Now, a couple times since them I have re-framed a few things here and there, but I haven't ever really committed to what I will now call "Living a Re-Framed Life".

This year I have gotten very close to an wonderful, dear person- my friend Nicole. Today we had the opportunity to talk about how God is working in our lives and it is amazing to watch how He is working through her to not only change me, but everyone around her. This has been such a blessing in my life. One thing in particular that Nicole and I have discussed recently is the very issue of re-framing. I don't remember how it started, but we realized maybe we were complaining a tad too much about things. So we decided to try and think of an alternative for it. There are the obvious and easy ones- someone cuts you off in traffic, and you can say "oh, they didn't see me!" or maybe someone doesn't hold the door open for you and you think "they must be running really late for something". Some, however, are not so easy. Some take creativity. For example, the other day I was in line to buy coffee and this girl cut DIRECTLY in front of me. It was very obvious I was there and that she saw me. I didn't say anything, and later when talking to Nicole I joked "Maybe she was so dehydrated that if she didn't get coffee THAT MINUTE she was going to pass out." Another example is if you trip, you can think "Well, I wouldn't have gotten to feel how soft the ground was if I hadn't tripped!" or if you drop your chocolate cake before you get a chance to eat it (always a tragedy) you can think "Well, I didn't really need the extra calories anyway."

Now, I realize some of these examples are a little extreme and most of the "re-frames" are pretty silly. But I've noticed it really does help me keep a brighter perspective on life. Because even if there is zero chance of the re-framing being accurate (the coffee line cutter) it can make you laugh and then you feel better. It also becomes habit, so when someone is rude to you it becomes almost second nature to think "Maybe they just weren't having the best day today".

I think that we should all try and live "A Re-Framed Life". I am no where near where I want to be on this, but if you try and be aware that we never know the full circumstances surrounding a person and their actions, then it becomes easier to cut people some slack. And I think that we need to cut people some slack. We live in an ever increasing "One strike you're out" world, and I believe that needs to change. We are all humans. We make mistakes. Recently I have become very aware that we can not, as Christians, give people just one or two chances and then kick them to the curb. We are told to forgive...and forgive...and forgive some more. We are also told to be encouragers, not people that bring others down. By re-framing, it makes it easier to forgive others and to encourage those. Instead of getting angry at someone when they are short with you, remember that maybe we don't know the full story, and a little encouragement to that person can go a long way.

My challenge to you this week is to re-frame, re-frame, re-frame. Even if you have to be silly and come up with extreme examples, still try and re-frame the situation and put it in a more positive light. From my experience, the world will seem a little brighter if you do so.

Be salt and light!!
~Hannah~

No comments:

Post a Comment