Tuesday, April 12, 2011

God is Amazing

Well. Isn't that title the understatement of the century? Today I was challenged to just stop. To stop and take a deep breath and consider life and everything that is in it.

God's ways are mysterious and awesome.

Consider this. God could have made us to where we didn't have to eat. He could have just zapped us with nutrients. He could have also just as easily not invented taste. Everything could have tasted like..well nothing. But we can taste things that are sweet, sour, spicy, or other things like that. Now, this may be just me (I know it's not, but we can say that) but I love food. I genuinely enjoy eating food. I like the different tastes and my day is always made when I get to eat one of my favorite foods. And it's not only that. My family and I have had so many wonderful conversations over the dinner table. If we didn't HAVE to eat, I don't think that we would get to do that as often. I mean sure, we would sit down every now and then and talk. But because we HAVE to eat, we get to sit down almost everyday, together, and enjoy each other's company.

Consider laughter as well. We don't need it. There's no practical use for it, no medical reason that I'm aware of. And yet, laughter relieves stress and can ease tension in a stressful situation. I was joking with one of my friends the other day that I can't stay mad at people because I am one of those people that laugh at ANYTHING. (Well, almost) And so I was telling him that if I am angry, all they have to do is make me laugh and my anger fizzles away to nothing. Laughter brings people together...it is a bond, so to speak, between people. Laughter is a wonderful thing.

There are so many other things. Rain for one. God could have just made the ground magically water itself, but he created this wonderful and refreshing thing called rain that shows His power and might, while at the same time showing His beauty and creativity.

Do you know what the Fibonacci sequence is? You start with one. And since there is nothing to add it to, you just add it to zero.

1, 1

Next, you add the last two together (one and one is...two!! whoah)

1, 1, 2

Add the next two...

1, 1, 2, 3,

Then again,

1, 1, 2, 3, 5

And so on.

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233....

That is the fibonacci sequence. I know what you're thinking...why the random math lesson?

But the fibonacci sequence is found all throughout nature. It is in the number of leaves on a plant. A shell has a fibonacci sequence. A sunflower. A pine cone. A pineapple. All of these random objects in nature, have this seemingly random pattern. How cool is God? He didn't have to do it, but it's something that makes you stop and think "Is there any way I could POSSIBLY believe that this, ALL of this, happened by chance? By randomness?"

The human body is so complex. The different organs and systems, all working together so that we can live. But we don't just live. God has blessed us so that we can FEEL. We can love. We have emotions, we form bonds with people. How great is that?

Stars. I don't think there's any real need for stars. They don't determine anything in our life. They're just there. But. How cool is it that they're there? That God saw it fit to put something so beautiful there, just for the admiration and happiness of men when they look upon them?

I realize I've barely scratched the surface of this topic. But I just wanted to challenge you, like I was challenged. To stop. Look around you. Hear laughter, and rejoice in it. Feel love for someone, and rejoice in it. If it's raining, look at it, go walk in it, dance in it..I don't care what you do other than rejoice in it. So many times we ignore some of the most obvious, and at the same time often the most hidden, blessings in our life. When you're sitting at the table with your family or friends...rejoice. Enjoy each other.

This week, rejoice in the things we often miss.

Be salt and light!!
~Hannah~

oh ps, be looking for blog posts more frequently now. I'm getting back in the swing of writing everyday, sorry for the break!

No comments:

Post a Comment